The Island Gymnastics Academy Boys Competitive Program is led by C.J. Keliher, a 2 time Canada Games gymnast and 2 time National Competitor. C.J. is a NCCP level 4 (highest level attainable) certified coach.
The boy’s competitive program progresses through the following levels and training hours:
- Mini Tumblers 5-7 years 5 hours/week
- Level 1 7-14 years 10.5 hours/week
- Level 2, 3 & 4 8-20 years 14 hours/week
- National Open 16+ years 14-18.5 hours/week
- High Performance 9-20+ years 14-18.5 hours/week
All levels follow the Men’s Program set out by Gymnastics Canada and FIG.
This year the Academy has over 30 boys participating in the competitive program. The Island Gymnastics Academy participates in local, Provincial, Atlantic, regional, National and International competitions. One of the major motivating factors is for boys to be able to compete at National and International meets.
The Academy has a great tradition of success. Beginning in 1988 and until the present, the Academy has had four different individuals named to Canadian National Teams. As well, fifteen different individuals have won 40 National and Elite Canada medals and 24 international medals at competitions in the U.S.A., Finland, Japan and Belgium.
Provincially, the Academy has had individuals from the boys program capture Sport PEI awards in the following categories:
- Junior Male Athlete of the Year
- Senior Male Athlete of the Year
- Lieutenant Governors Award (2 times)
- Official of the Year
- Administrator of the Year
- Coach of the Year